If you like strawberry shortcake and muffins, these are the perfect combination of both. Every spring I get excited when the strawberries start showing up at the store and I can make strawberry muffins for my family. The sourdough makes the muffins so tender and delicious, and the crumb topping is amazing!
It is a one bowl recipe that comes together quickly, so you can have muffins for your family in no time.
These take between 20 to 25 minutes to bake depending on your oven. Bake until they are golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
Strawberry Shortcake Sourdough Muffins
- 12 count muffin tin
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon corn starch
- zest of a lemon
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 8 Tablespoons butter melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup active sourdough starter
- 3 Tablespoons sour cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 Tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- Begin by making the crumb topping in a small bowl by mixing the melted butter, flour and sugar together until it becomes course crumbs…set aside
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12 count muffin tin with paper liners or grease generously to prevent sticking.
- Whisk together the butter, eggs, sourdough starter, sour cream, and vanilla until smooth.
- Add the remaing dry ingredients and strawberries with your wet mixture. Be sure to not over mix the batter so the muffins will stay tender.
- Divide the batter evenly into 12 muffins and sprinkle the tops with the crumb topping. Make sure to press the crumble gently on the top of the batter.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Remove to a cooling rack
- These will be good covered at room temperature for 3 days or freezing them for up to 3 months works wonderfully.